Posting a screen shot taken of Esko Reinikainen’s post: #iranelection cyberwar guide for beginners from before his account got suspended (over bandwidth allotment?).
click for link to larger image. Full text to follow image.
The purpose of this guide is to help you participate constructively in the Iranian election protests through twitter.
- Do NOT publicise proxy IP’s over twitter, and especially not using the #iranelection hashtag. Security forces are monitoring this hashtag, and the moment they identify a proxy IP they will block it in Iran. If you are creating new proxies for the Iranian bloggers, DM them to @stopAhmadi or @iran09 and they will distributed them discretely to bloggers in Iran.
- Hashtags, the only two legitimate hashtags being used by bloggers in Iran are #iranelection and #gr88, other hashtag ideas run the risk of diluting the conversation.
- Keep you bull$hit filter up! Security forces are now setting up twitter accounts to spread disinformation by posing as Iranian protesters. Please don’t retweet impetuosly, try to confirm information with reliable sources before retweeting. The legitimate sources are not hard to find and follow.
- Help cover the bloggers: change your twitter settings so that your location is TEHRAN and your time zone is GMT +3.30. Security forces are hunting for bloggers using location and timezone searches. If we all become ‘Iranians’ it becomes much harder to find them.
- Don’t blow their cover! If you discover a genuine source, please don’t publicise their name or location on a website. These bloggers are in REAL danger. Spread the word discretely through your own networks but don’t signpost them to the security forces. People are dying there, for real, please keep that in mind.
- Denial of Service attacks. If you don’t know what you are doing, stay out of this game. Only target those sites the legitimate Iranian bloggers are designating. Be aware that these attacks can have detrimental effects to the network the protesters are relying on. Keep monitoring their traffic to note when you should turn the taps on or off.
- Do spread the (legitimate) word, it works! When the bloggers asked for twitter maintenance to be postponed using the #nomaintenance tag, it had the desired effect. As long as we spread good information, provide moral support to the protesters, and take our lead from the legitimate bloggers, we can make a constructive contribution.
Please remember that this is about the future of the Iranian people, while it might be exciting to get caught up in the flow of participating in a new meme, do not lose sight of what this is really about.
Original post at http://reinikainen.co.uk/2009/06/iranelection-cyberwar-guide-for-beginners/
I still need to write up an after action report for the blogger shoot, but it can definitely be summed up with: “The most fun I’ve had with my clothes on in a good long while.”
The early spring Northeast Blogger meetup/shoot is coming up this Sunday and Monday. I can’t wait! JayG has been organizing this outing to coincide with a certain EMS/gun blogger from Louisiana being in town. Sunday night we’re all meeting up at Hilltop Steakhouse in Saugus for good steak and conversation. Monday we’re heading out to Harvard Sportsmen’s Club for some shooty-goodness.
It’ll be great to show everyone around my club. I love HSC, no other clubs in the area even begin to compair. And it will be wonderful to go out shooting with a bunch of friends! The more the merrier!
Class completed, tests taken and passed (100%, 98%, and 98%! I’m so proud of myself!), and paperwork submitted with cheque. I am now an NRA certified instructor in Basic Pistol and Home Firearms Safety! My credentials will arrive in the mail within the month, then I can send out for my Mass State Police certified instructor credentials, which takes about a month.
After that, I can start offering both the NRA Basic Pistol and the NRA Home Firearms Safety courses. I’m really excited.
There is a downside, though… Bill and I discovered we need to buy more guns! We don’t have a .22 revolver or a .22 semi-auto. We don’t have a bolt action rifle, or a pump action shotgun, or a break action shotgun! Oh noes! We must buy more guns, what’s a girl to do?
After being sick for a week, I finally got to try out my Valentine’s Day present… the P220.
I *LOVE* it. The trigger is a big heavy, which was to be expected with any gun bought new in Massatwoshits. But it fits me very well, and if I concentrate on a smooth and consistent pull instead of pulling the trigger fast and jerking, I’m getting very accurate with it.
The only work I plan on having done with it is a trigger job, both to lighten the triger pull and install a short-trigger (basically, a more swept-back trigger, so my small hands can actually reach it on double action).
I have the best husband ever. :D
He gave me my valentine’s day present a bit early:
I can’t wait to take her down to the range and try her out!
Today’s the first day this winter that I’ve seen them. The eagles who winter near our house and hang out in trees over the river right in front of our house are back!
I’m so happy to see them! I’ll have to try and take some pictures. Should even grab some color film to try and get tem with my real camera & zoom lens!
We’ve been reloading a bunch, though haven’t yet been able to get to the range to test out the rounds we’ve loaded. I took a whole bunch of photos of the process, and am going to make a detailed post at some point, though I need a few more photos to make it final.
New England’s been plastered with 2 big snowstorms this weekend, dropping at least 24″ of snow, and counting. We’ve got two Aussies, who absolutely adore the snow. They’ve been outside all day for hours at a time. When we’ve finally dragged them back in side, it’s not even 5 minutes until they’re begging to go back out!
Pippin says: I gots the Frisbee and you can't catch me! Nyah!
Then Nemo gets the frisbee and…
Nemo: Haha, I got the frisbee now, Pippin, whacha gunna do about it!?!
Nemo: Look, Mum, I gots it!
Pipping standing still for just a moment...
...but standing still doesn't last long before he's back off to the races!
I posted a comment on another blog and realized it’d make a good blog post.
Bill & I decided we moved Sarah Brady beyond bawling her eyes out, to searching for the razor blades this past week.
After nearly 3 month process, we finally got our permission slips from Mommy-state Taxatwoshits this past Tuesday.
On Wednesday we picked up a Springfield 1911A1, a Baretta 92FS w/2 pre-ban hi-cap mags (stupid MA AWB), and a Ruger Security Six.
Clockwise from TopLeft: Springfield 1911A1, Baretta 92FS, Ruger Security Six
Friday Bill went out and picked up a nice little Ruger Mini-14 in 5.56mm.
Friday night I spied a Sig Sauer 556 for private sale that was actually MA compliant, and we snapped it up Saturday afternoon.
Sig Sauer 556
Much fun was had at the range this past weekend (despite freezing our tails off in low 20F weather) and I can’t stop grinning like an idiot.
There are pictures up at Bill’s blog, along with a range report.