Posting a screen shot taken of Esko Reinikainen’s post: #iranelection cyberwar guide for beginners from before his account got suspended (over bandwidth allotment?).
click for link to larger image. Full text to follow image.
The purpose of this guide is to help you participate constructively in the Iranian election protests through twitter.
- Do NOT publicise proxy IP’s over twitter, and especially not using the #iranelection hashtag. Security forces are monitoring this hashtag, and the moment they identify a proxy IP they will block it in Iran. If you are creating new proxies for the Iranian bloggers, DM them to @stopAhmadi or @iran09 and they will distributed them discretely to bloggers in Iran.
- Hashtags, the only two legitimate hashtags being used by bloggers in Iran are #iranelection and #gr88, other hashtag ideas run the risk of diluting the conversation.
- Keep you bull$hit filter up! Security forces are now setting up twitter accounts to spread disinformation by posing as Iranian protesters. Please don’t retweet impetuosly, try to confirm information with reliable sources before retweeting. The legitimate sources are not hard to find and follow.
- Help cover the bloggers: change your twitter settings so that your location is TEHRAN and your time zone is GMT +3.30. Security forces are hunting for bloggers using location and timezone searches. If we all become ‘Iranians’ it becomes much harder to find them.
- Don’t blow their cover! If you discover a genuine source, please don’t publicise their name or location on a website. These bloggers are in REAL danger. Spread the word discretely through your own networks but don’t signpost them to the security forces. People are dying there, for real, please keep that in mind.
- Denial of Service attacks. If you don’t know what you are doing, stay out of this game. Only target those sites the legitimate Iranian bloggers are designating. Be aware that these attacks can have detrimental effects to the network the protesters are relying on. Keep monitoring their traffic to note when you should turn the taps on or off.
- Do spread the (legitimate) word, it works! When the bloggers asked for twitter maintenance to be postponed using the #nomaintenance tag, it had the desired effect. As long as we spread good information, provide moral support to the protesters, and take our lead from the legitimate bloggers, we can make a constructive contribution.
Please remember that this is about the future of the Iranian people, while it might be exciting to get caught up in the flow of participating in a new meme, do not lose sight of what this is really about.
Original post at http://reinikainen.co.uk/2009/06/iranelection-cyberwar-guide-for-beginners/
How in the hell did I miss this?
That supposed attack on the McCain volunteer by a ‘crazed black man, Obama supporter’ was entirely made up? She’s arrested for it?
Fox News Exec. Vice President John Moody said, when the attack first broke, “If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain’s quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.” Guess what, the attack IS a hoax.
Talking Point Memo has a scathing pair of articles about it:
Even better? This just in, she got kicked off the Ron Paul campaign for dirty tactics and it appears, pulled the ‘attacked for being a supporter’ card before.
See BoingBoing – “Ashley Todd pulled hoax hijinks in Ron Paul campaign, too” and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – “McCain volunteer admits ot hoax”.
In March, Ms. Todd was asked to leave a grass-roots group of Ron Paul supporters in Brazos County, Texas, group leader Dustan Costine said. He said Ms. Todd posed as a supporter of former Arkansas governor and presidential candidate Mike Huckabee and called the local Republican committee seeking information about its campaign strategies.
“She would call the opposing campaign and pretend she was on their campaign to get information,” Mr. Costine said last night. “We had to remove her because of the tactics she displayed. After that we had nothing to do with her.”
About a month earlier, he said, Ms. Todd sent an e-mail to the Ron Paul group saying her tires were slashed and that campaign paraphernalia had been stolen from her car because she supported Mr. Paul.
“She’s the type of person who wants to be recognized,” Mr. Costine said.
I just watched Barak Obama’s acceptance speech. I’m impressed. Up til this point, he hasn’t impressed me, but after tonight, I’m beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, he can pull off the change he speaks of. Perhaps, just perhaps, if (no, when) Mr. Obama becomes president, there will be an administration in place who’s ideals are not completely foreign to my own, and who actually has the good of the common man and the country in mind. Perhaps, just perhaps, we aren’t completely fucked.
Up until tonight, my cynicism had thoroughly gotten the better of me; having spent the vast majority of my adult life in Massachusetts — one of the most corrupt states in the country — it’s hardly surprising. Until tonight, I was convinced Mr. Obama was just another pie-in-the-sky dreamer, spouting pretty words, hopes and dreams, with no realistic idea of how to make them reality nor any grasp of the work and struggle needed to do so. After tonight’s speech, I’m far more confident he understands how enormous a task it will be to accomplish even a fraction of the change he desires to bring to our country. Tonight, as he annihilated McCain with his own words, he finally seemed to have grown into the office he’ll be elected to in November. I finally felt like I was watching a great leader, the likes of which I’ve never seen (alive) in American politics.
I’m hopeful. I’m actually hopeful about the future of this country and our leadership. I haven’t been hopeful about either in a very very long time. I had given up. I was convinced there was no good fight left to fight. After tonight, I’m not quite so sure that’s true, and it feels good.
Via AccordionGuy on twitter: Lies spread by Pissed off Clinton Supporters.
Oh, will the RAMPANT dishonesty never end? Stupid bitch, just say you’d never vote for a black man and get it overwith. Scumsucking, toad-licking lowlife.
No, Obama’s NOT Muslim. He didn’t got to a madrassa, just take a quick peek at snopes, forget actually reading a credible news source!
[R]eporting by CNN in Jakarta, Indonesia and Washington, D.C., shows the allegations that Obama attended a madrassa to be false. CNN dispatched Senior International Correspondent John Vause to Jakarta to investigate.
He visited the Basuki school, which Obama attended from 1969 to 1971.
“This is a public school. We don’t focus on religion,” Hardi Priyono, deputy headmaster of the Basuki school, told Vause. “In our daily lives, we try to respect religion, but we don’t give preferential treatment.”
I’m thrilled Obama picked Biden. Biden’s going to add long experiance in national politics, strength in foreign relations and national security. He was my inital pick back at the beginning of the primaries. Also his son, who is a Captain in the National Guard is being delpoyed to Iraq in October.
I think Biden brings stability and experiance to a ticket I feared would be flighty and know to be inexperianced. I was thinking he’d get the Sec. State position, but VP I’m quite happy about.
New York Times article announcing the choice.
New York Times Op-Ed pro-Biden from before the announcement.
BBC article. CNN article. MSNBC article.